First Impressions is a Marginalia Review of Books podcast featuring authors of some of the most important new books in religion, history, and theology. Through the hard work our co-hosts Arthur Remillard, David M. Krueger, Kristian Petersen, and special guest host Simon Rabinovitch, the First Impressions team has released thirty-seven interviews just in the past year. That brings the total number of books featured to fifty-nine since Art Remillard began the show in December 2013. Stay tuned for forthcoming interviews from new hosts Nyasha Junior and Joseph Ryan Kelly.
The following list is a guide to the book exhibits at this year’s American Academy of Religion / Society of Biblical Literature conference in Atlanta November 20-24. The exhibitor booths will be in the Hyatt Regency Centennial and Grand Ballrooms. We have listed the booth number and ballroom below to help you find the books.
Click on the links below to listen the First Impressions interview. If you are traveling to Atlanta, listening to Marginalia Radio is a great way to pass the time! We hope to see you there!
Bloomsbury Press (Grand 600)
- Coming Out Christian in the Roman World: How the Followers of Jesus Made a Place in Caesar’s Empire. Art Remillard interviews Douglas Boin.
Brill (Centennial 1411)
- A Modest Proposal on Method: Essaying the Study of Religion. Kristian Petersen interviews Russell McCutcheon.
Columbia University Press (Grand 910)
- Religion Food and Eating in North America. Dave Krueger interviews Benjamin Zeller and Marie Dallam.
HarperOne (Centennial 1810)
- The Study Quran: A New Translation and Commentary. Kristian Petersen interviews Caner Dagli, Maria, Dakake, and Joseph Lumbard.
- The Abbey: A Story of Discovery. Art Remillard interviews James Martin, SJ.
- The Tweetable Pope: A Spiritual Revolution in 140 Characters. Dave Krueger interviews Michael O’Loughlin.
- Wearing God: Clothing, Laughter, Fire, and Other Overlooked Ways of Meeting God. Art Remillard interviews Lauren Winner.
New York University Press (Grand 1007)
- A Critical Introduction to Religion in the Americas: Bridging the Liberation Theology and Religious Studies Divide. Kristian Petersen interviews Michelle Gonzalez.
- Playing for God: Evangelical Women and the Unintended Consequences of Sports Ministry. Art Remillard interviews Annie Blazer.
- Walking Where Jesus Walked: American Christians and the Holy Land Pilgrimage. Kristian Petersen interviews Hillary Kaell.
- Angel Patriots: The Crash of United Flight 93 and the Myth of America. Art Remillard interviews Alexander Riley.
OneWorld Publications (No Exhibit)
- The Emergence of Modern Shi’ism: Islamic Reform in Iraq and Iran. Kristian Petersen interviews Zackery Heern.
Orbis Books (Grand 611)
- Stand Your Ground: Black Bodies and the Justice of God. Dave Krueger interviews Kelly Brown Douglas.
Oxford University Press (Centennial 1401)
- Union Made: Working People and the Rise of Social Christianity in Chicago. Art Remillard interviews Heath Carter.
- Inventing a Christian America: The Myth of the Religious Founding. Dave Krueger interviews Steven Green.
- The Murder of William Norwich: The Origins of the Blood Libel in Medieval Europe. Art Remillard interviews E.M. Rose.
- Spirits Rejoice!: Jazz and American Religion. Art Remillard interviews Jason Bivins.
- Among the Ruins: Syria Past and Present. Dave Krueger interviews Christian Sahner.
- In God’s Path: The Arab Conquests and the Creation of an Islamic Empire. Art Remillard interviews Robert Hoyland.
Pennsylvania State University Press (Grand 307)
- Jacob Green’s Revolution: Radical Religion and Reform in the Revolutionary Age. Art Remillard interviews Scott Rohrer.
- Imagining the Kibbutz: Vision of Utopia in Literature and Film. Dave Krueger interviews Ranen Omer-Sherman.
- Books and Religious Devotion: The Redemptive Reading of an Irishman in Nineteenth Century New England. Dave Krueger interviews Allan Westphall.
- Nothing But Love in God’s Water: Black Sacred Music from the Civil War to the Civil Rights Movement. Art Remillard interviews Robert Darden.
Rowman and Littlefield (Grand 803)
- The Lively Experiment: Religious Toleration in America from Roger Williams to the Present. Art Remillard interviews Chris Beneke and Christopher Grenda.
Rutgers University Press (No exhibit)
- Shades of White Flight: Evangelical Congregations and Urban Departure. Dave Krueger interviews Mark Mulder.
University of California Press (Grand 300)
- Dangerous Games: What the Moral Panic Over Role-Playing Games Says About Play, Religion, and Imagined Worlds. Dave Krueger interviews Joseph Laycock.
- The Political Spirituality of Cesar Chavez: Crossing Religious Borders. Art Remillard interviews Luís León.
University of Hawaii Press (No exhibit)
- Saving Buddhism: The Impermanence of Religion in Colonial Burma. Kristian Petersen interviews Alicia Turner.
University of Illinois Press (Grand 1012)
- We Are What We Drink: The Temperance Battle in Minnesota. Dave Krueger interviews Sabine Meyer.
University of Minnesota Press (Available at the Scholar’s Choice table 310 in Grand)
- Myths of the Rune Stone: Viking Martyrs and the Birthplace of America. Art Remillard interviews Dave Krueger.
- St. John’s Abbey Church: Marcel Breuer and the Creation of a Modern Sacred Space. Art Remillard interviews Victoria Young.
University of North Carolina Press (Grand 1011)
- Reforming Sodom: Protestants and the Rise of Gay Rights. Dave Krueger interviews Heather White.
- St. Francis of America: How a Thirteenth-Century Friar Became America’s Most Popular Saint. Art Remillard interviews Patricia Appelbaum.
- Christian Reconstruction: R.J. Rushdoony and American Religious Conservatism. Art Remillard interviews Michael McVicar.
- Progressive Evangelicals and the Pursuit of Social Justice. Art Remillard interviews Brantley Gasaway.
University of Pennsylvania Press (Grand 306)
- Christian Human Rights. Simon Rabinovitch interviews Samuel Moyn.
William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company (Centennial 1908)
- Way Below the Angels: The Pretty Clearly Troubled but Not Even Close to Tragic Confessions of a Real Live Mormon Missionary. Art Remillard interviews Craig Harline.